Columbia Sportswear Company VP, Chief Accounting Officer in Portland, Oregon
VP, Chief Accounting Officer
United States, Oregon, Portland
100003AI Requisition #
2 days ago Post Date
The Vice President, ChiefAccounting Officer (CAO) is a critical leadership position that oversees allglobal accounting, financial reporting and regulatory compliance functions.The CAO reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer, and serves as astrategic partner by engaging with business leaders within the Company toanticipate business issues and drive strong decision making through soundfinancial management and application of accounting expertise.
The CAO is responsible for the accounting and financial reporting operationsof the Company encompassing financial transaction processing, financial close,financial consolidation and reporting processes and accounting policy andprocedures. The CAO is also responsible for the Company’s accounting regulatorycompliance as well as the development, management and effectiveness of ourinternal controls. Additionally, the CAO is responsible for proactiveengagement with leaders throughout the business to influence decisions andprovide guidance regarding financial and accounting implications of businessactivities/decisions.
A focus on continuous improvement including the enhancement ofaccounting/finance policies, procedures and processes is essential to successin this position. Ongoing organizational and individual development within theglobal accounting organization is another critical success factor including theability to transform and adapt the accounting organization to the Company’sshifting business model and strategies.
Accounting and Financial Reporting Operations
- Oversee all activities of the accountingfunction and personnel, including policy and process development, enhancement,enforcement, and maintenance; month-end close process; consolidation;accounting operations; and financial reporting. Strive to institute best practices throughout the organizationworldwide.
- Ensures the review, accuracy and timelypreparation of corporate consolidated GAAP financial statements.
- Ensure accounting systems and processes arecontinually streamlined via process improvements to achieve greater efficiencyand accuracy in the level and timeliness of reporting.
- Oversees the performance of the corporate andoperations controllers, and corresponding accounting teams to ensure thesuccessful and timely completion of the month-end close process for theconsolidated organization.
- Establish and maintain credibility throughoutthe organization and with the Board of Directors and Audit Committee as aneffective developer of solutions to business challenges.
Accounting Regulatory Compliance
- Develop, implement and monitor properinternal accounting and financial reporting controls.
- Oversees external audit efforts includingrelationship between the accounting team and the external audit firm forpreparation of the external audit.
- Leads preparation of board relevantinformation, including audit committee materials, and proactively communicatesto CFO and the audit committee chair should material information occur. Leadsdiscussion of accounting/compliance related updates and issues in quarterlyaudit committee meeting.
- Oversees the analysis in evaluating theimpact of new accounting pronouncements and ensures the proper implementationthereof.
- Monitors and assesses current trends andemerging developments within the field and practice of accounting to ensure theCompany’s compliance and preparedness.
- Ensures the preparation of monthly andquarterly financial work-papers and control environment documentation by theaccounting functions.
Strategic Finance Support
- Lead and support the finance organization andcross-functional project teams through business initiatives, including, but notlimited to, major systems implementations, business transformations and othercommercial priorities.
- Participate in the development of theCompany’s strategic and financial planning activities with senior management,including the evaluation and impact of new initiatives and regulatorydevelopments on the business.
- Partners and interacts with a variety ofconstituents including, but not limited to, senior leadership, internal staff,external partners, board of directors, and outside advisors.
- Performs other related duties as assigned tomeet the needs of the business.
Accounting Leadership – Organization andIndividual Development
- Builds and enhances a strong accounting teamthat provides proactive support and results-driven execution ofresponsibilities to meet the current and future needs of the business.
- Manages and coaches accounting employees tofacilitate associate engagement and professional development. Continuallystrives to develop talent within the accounting organization to promoteindividual development.
- Aligns and activates resources to resolveissues and/or take advantage of opportunities arising from organizationalchange.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance orrelated field required.
- Certified Public Accounting (CPA) designation(active license) required.
- 15+ years of progressive, broad-basedaccounting experience in a combination of public accounting and business withcompanies of similar size, global operations and complexity are required.
- Experience from a Big 4 public accountingfirm required.
- 10+ years of management and leadershipexperience at the director and/or executive levels developing an accountingfunction in a rapid growth and changing business environment is required.
- Extensive knowledge of technical accountingprinciples, practices and standards (GAAP, SEC, FASB, etc.) including theability to apply this knowledge to new and existing business transactions.
- Advanced comprehension of financialreporting, accounting and business systems.
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends anddevelopments within the accounting field and corresponding impact on businessoperations.
- Leadership and strategic management skills todevelop, coach, and direct the performance of a team to achieve goals andobjectives.
- Executive presence with which to interact andinfluence at all levels of the organization.
- Skills and ability to clearly and conciselycommunicate verbally and in writing to convey complex concepts clearly andlogically.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills,including the capacity to identify, assess and prioritize competing interestsand needs.
- Skill and ability to strategically executewithin a fast-paced, deadline-oriented and complex environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality andmaintain appropriate discretion.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age