Columbia Sportswear Company MHW Equipment Developer in Richmond, California
MHW Equipment Developer
United States, California, Richmond
100004QP Requisition #
May 04, 2018 Post Date
Responsible for managing the development process for assigned apparel, accessory and/or equipment products. Collaborate closely with all cross-functional partners and contract manufacturers to ensure that design integrity, quality, and target price are met/maintained and that products are developed within established timelines. Influential in selection of development method and factory/LO and must remain true to the creative directions of Design/Merchandising while considering manufacturability of the product.
- Ability to turn great ideas into great products in alignment with Mountain Hardwear brand vision
- Collaborate with Designer and Technical Specialist to procure critical design information related to the technical development requirements of a style or product including; material, trim color direction and style intent and tech pack creation
- Shepherd prototype creation through pattern, sample, fit and grading processes collaborating closely with these groups to ensure specification and prototypes are as accurate as possible and represent design intention
- Offer suggestions, changes and production perspectives to improve products and insure successful commercialization of the product during manufacturing
- Involved or may be solely responsible for costing of product; must influence and direct the design to cost process
- Establish parameters for style specifications, style measurements, quality standards and construction details
- Identify/document any construction details or sew methods that need to be communicated to the garment factories
- Communicate all style development to the appropriate liaison office keeping them abreast of progress and concerns
- Work closely with Sourcing, Planning, Quality Assurance, Material Research, LO Merchandising team to understand our contract manufacturers capabilities and limitations
- Work closely with Sourcing and Material Research to identify and source appropriate materials and trims for style development, keeping proposed garment country of origin in mind at all times; assist with creating and updating seasonal materials and parts lists and color development lab dip needs
- Review factory prototypes for accuracy, quality and function. Communicate findings to the appropriate persons including, Design / Merchandising, Sourcing, Quality Assurance and the LO Merchandising team
- Communicate via email and PDM system all style development information to the appropriate liaison office keeping them abreast of progress and changes.
- For the assigned category; ensure that Bills of Materials, specifications, measurements and construction comments are input into database, maintained and accurate. Manage prototype samples.
- Create strong cross-functional team interaction with all Product Creation team members as well as manufacturers to ensure a coordinated and efficient process
- Bachelor's degree specializing in related field; course work in textiles, manufacturing or related desired
- 8+ yrs experience in Product Development, Product Engineering, and/or Technical Design, with demonstrated accomplishments in the outerwear, outdoors or action sports industry
- Work experience directly related to outdoor products development is critical and required
- Experience traveling to and working independently with overseas factories strongly desired
- Advanced/comprehensive knowledge of garment construction methods and manufacturing sewing operations; including pattern making, grading and the marker making process. Possess exceptional knowledge of materials and functional aspects of garments
- Extensive knowledge of fabrics and trims associated with the development process
- Possess strong organizational skills and ability to work under pressure, meet strict timelines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Possess strong written and verbal communication skills to deal with various levels of management and employees within the organization as well as vendors and worldwide personnel. Ability to motivate individuals involved in the production process. Ability to negotiate production deadlines with individuals/departments involved.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age